Thursday 26 January 2017

No Thank You John - Christina Rossetti


This poem makes me think of that Cilla Black song, "Anyone who had a heart?"  Why do human beings always think that because "we" love "them", that "they" must love us back? What a sensible woman Rossetti was!


NO THANK YOU JOHN

By Christina Rossetti

I never said I loved you, John:
Why will you tease me day by day?
And was a weariness to think upon
With always "do" and "pray."?

You know I never loved you, John:
No fault of mine made me your toast:
Why will you haunt me with a face so wan
As shows an hour-old ghost?

I dare say Meg or Moll would take
Pity upon you, if you'd ask:
And pray don't remain single for my sake
Who can't perform that task.

I have no heart? - Perhaps I have not;
But then you're mad to take offence
That I don't give you what I have not got:
Use your own common sense.


No comments:

Post a Comment